General Submission Guidelines
(for all imprints)
Follow guidelines exactly. Following these guidelines is a test.
Failing means an automatic rejection. We want high quality work submitted.
What we accept
1. We accept submissions from authors residing in the contiguous United States. We can't accept authors outside the continental/contiguous US due to exorbitant shipping cost to get books to those authors.
2. We do not accept stories about bodily functions (bathroom humor) or writings that degrade people. We reserve the right to reject subject matter that doesn't meet our needs or standards.
3. Submissions are OPEN for: Tweens & Teens, Young Adult, Fiction, Nonfiction, and Biblical Based. Submissions are also open for the Tenacious (adult/mature topics/content) and Poetry imprints. See the submissions pages specifically for those imprints for more information.
4. We accept most genres - except none with graphic sexual and/or violence material (violence must not be used for shock value, and language must not be overly profane or vulgar - must be appropriate to character and a taste rather than constant, no form of the "f" word, no use of God's name or Jesus' name or any form thereof as profanity).
5. We do not accept anything which has been published previously in any format, anywhere, in any language. For manuscripts, we prefer not receiving simultaneous submissions.
Headers must contain the following:
To Submit a Manuscript:
Electronic submissions are the ONLY type submission accepted. All components must be sent with email as individual attachments (total 3 attachments) in MS Word, and guidelines must be followed.
I. E-mail submissions only: Provide a short introduction in the body of your email. Put in subject line: submission, title of your book, genre of book, your name.
Include each of the following as separate attachments (3):
II. Title attachments as follows, using the title of your work/manuscript: (1)
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acceptance is not guaranteed. It may take three (3) months before a submission can be thoroughly evaluated. IF submitter does NOT hear back before or by three (3) months, please contact us or submit elsewhere. If we received the submission, we will contact you one way or the other.
- IF 4RV requests a full manuscript or shows other interest in a submission, the company takes a three (3) month option on the work, meaning it cannot be submitted elsewhere unless rejected by 4RV during that time. If the company sends an email voicing further interest (after a full manuscript has been evaluated) in the work, 4RV has 30 days to send a contract or notice of revisions needed before a contract is offered. Until then, submissions should not be offered or a contract accepted anywhere else. The author has the option not to submit.
- We publish in both paperback and hardback. Later, if manuscript is suitable, we release the book in eBook formats.
- 4RV is a traditional publisher. Authors are paid in royalties. Authors do NOT pay for publishing, editing, or artwork unless they break their contract or, in rare situations, consider #6 (below).
- For any book to have text on its spine, it must contain at least 80 pages. Therefore, authors wanting text on the spine may need to add such things as discussion questions, background information, glossaries, etc. No back-matter will be required to be illustrated by a 4RV artist, nor can a different artist compete with primary artist.
- 4RV editors, artists and designers are all paid in royalties. If an author wants artwork outside royalty specs determined by 4RV's preset compensation limits (back-matter art other than recycling art created for the story or marketing/promotional art, ie: line art for coloring-page-handouts for events), a deal outside of your 4RV contract can be made between author and illustrator only with 4RV consent and oversight by 4RV's art director. Such an agreement is rare and conditional and not guaranteed to be granted or required of any 4RV illustrator. Authors are permitted, but in no way encouraged or obligated, to hire service providers like editors or artists of their choosing, but they MUST be aware that 4RV might not accept, nor are they required to, use any resulting materials. 4RV will NOT reimburse authors for any such services they elected to commission either prior, during, or after their relationship with 4RV Publishing.
- For any book to be available in hardcover format through Amazon, it must contain at least 80 pages. If your book is shorter than 80 pages, it can still be printed and available in hardcover through Barns & Noble and through 4RV's website, but only available in paperback on Amazon.